Many decisions have been taken under the guidance of President Maithripala Sirisena to provide relief measures to the people affected by the Uma Oya Multipurpose Development Project.
These decisions were made during a special meeting recently held at the Badulla District Secretariat to find prompt solutions for the issues arise due to the Uma Oya Project, according to the instructions of the President.
During this meeting, the vesting of responsibilities in each State institution to find speedy solutions for the issues faced by the people in 32 Grama Niladhari Divisions in Bandarawela, Ella, Welimada, Uva Paranagama and Haputale Divisional Secretariats related to their drinking water, damages caused to houses and cultivations, losing houses, as well as to prepare an action plan with a time frame to implement those relief measures, were presented.
Following are the decisions taken, time frame and responsibilities.
01. The relevant Divisional Secretariat will handle the payment of compensation. To expedite this process initially a provision of 300 million rupees will be released to the District Secretary.
Time Frame – Before 2017—30
Responsibility – District Secretary, Badulla / Head, Jana Sahana Secretariat, Project Director, Uma Oya Multipurpose Development Project
02. Releasing of funds up to a maximum of Rs 100 million for renovation of six small tanks damaged or destroyed due to the Project before the next rainy season.
Time Frame – release provisions before 20. 07. 2017 and complete renovations before 30. 10. 2017
Responsibility – General Secretary, Uva Province
03. Build six large scale tube wells after proper studies related to the proper places. These are in addition to the utilization of existing water recourses, to face upcoming draughts.
Time Frame – 31. 08. 2017
Responsibility – Water Resource Board
04. Provide water tanks to all families which haven’t been provided with water tanks so far.
Time Frame – before 30. 07. 2017
Responsibility – Chief, Public Relief Secretariat
05. Complete the water projects and provide water without any charge
Time Frame – before 15. 08. 2017
Responsibility – Water Supply and Drainage Board
06. Provide 10 tractor bowsers in addition to the water bowsers which have been provides so far.
Time Frame – before 15. 07. 2017
Responsibility – Ministry of Indigenous Affairs
07. Release the Creg Estate land, already identified to be used for resettlement.
Time Frame – 15. 07. 2017
Responsibility – Secretary to the Ministry of Plantation / District Secretary, Badulla
08. Rapidly complete estimate of compensation for the damaged houses
Time Frame – 17. 08. 2017
Responsibility – Chief Estimator
09. Provide special provisions of Rs. 100 millions to Uva Provincial Council to rehabilitate damaged rural roads and complete all renovations before rainy season
Time Frame – allocate grant before 20. 07. 2017 and complete renovations before 30. 11. 2017
Responsibility – National Budget Department, General Secretary Uva Province / Provincial Road Authority
10. Renovate 18 damaged schools
Time Frame – before 30. 11. 2017
Responsibility – General Secretary, Uva Province/Provincial Education Secretary, Uva Province
11. Grant financial provisions to initiate water scheme in Visal Bandarawela
Time Frame – 2018 finance year
Responsibility – National Budget Department / Water Supply and Drainage Board
12. Give two year relief period to the victims for repayment of installments of their housing loans and agricultural loans
Time Frame – As soon as possible
Responsibility – Finance Ministry
13. Build temporary houses on the agreement of the victim families till the permanent houses to be built in Creg Estate which has been recognized for resettlement.
Time Frame – As soon as possible
Responsibility – Divisional Secretary, Bandarawela
14. Strengthen the Public Relief Secretariat to make the relief activities in Badulla and Moneragala Districts more efficient
Time Frame – before 30. 08. 2017
Responsibility – Secretary to the Ministry of Mahaweli Development and Environment, Management Services Department