President Maithripala Sirisena who is currently on a three-day state visit to Pakistan, and Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif presided over the signing ceremony of six Memorandums of Understanding at the Pakistan Prime Minister’s House today.
The memorandums of understanding (MoU) signed today are:
1) Cooperation between Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission and Atomic Energy Authority of Sri Lanka.
2) Agreement on cooperation against illicit trafficking in narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances.
3) Academic cooperation agreement on exchange and collaboration between National Defence University of Pakistan and Lakshman Kadirgamar Institute of International Relations and Strategic Studies of Sri Lanka.
4) Collaboration in the field of Sports.
5) Mutual cooperation in the shipping business between Pakistan National Shipping Corporation (PNSC) and the Ceylon Shipping Corporation Ltd (CSCL).
6) Cooperation on disaster management.
In a joint news conference after holding talks with President Maithripala Sirisena the Pakistan Premier said “We want a stable and peaceful relationship with Sri Lanka.”
“Pakistan and Sri Lanka’s relations span over six decades and are characterized by mutual respect, understanding and cooperation,” President Maithripala Sirisena added.